Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Papas y Arroz Todos los Dias

I have to say that I probably haven´t eaten this well since I lived at home with mom and dad. No more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for me! It´s only been fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats since the second I got here and everything´s delicious!

Breakfast is always very simple... perhaps some bread and fruit. I usually drink tea or the lovely yoghurt drink that is oh so popular if France as well. Over the past few days I´ve had the opportunity to try countless new fruits. I´m positive that this small city has more varieties of produce than all of the United States and probably Europe combined.

Around 2:00 Victor comes home for lunch and Iris takes a break from work. Lunch seems to be the big meal of the day and is usually served in courses. First course tends to be soup (so far I´ve had chiken noodle... with a few feathers still stuck to the chicken and some sort of squash soup), salad or ceviche. I´m usually stuffed after that but then Vicki delivers the second course tht will undoubtingly include a huge helping potatoes and rice. Meat is also served but almost seems to be a side dish to everybody´s favorite potatoes and rice. I´ve eaten quite a bit of fish to my surprise, that´s been caught in one of the rivers close by. The fish is always great. Chicken is served every once in a while as well and this afternoon I was given my first taste of Peruvian steak.

Once work ends, usually around 8:00 we sit down for dinner. This is somewhat late for me but I really don´t mind as I´m usually still digesting all the starch from lunch. Dinner is slightly smaller than lunch and we´ll usually have leftovers or a simple bowl of soup. Last night I was served rice with milk straight from the cow. The dish was sweetened with a bit of sugar and raisons. Yummy! Deseret is rarely had here. Besides all the fruit and last nights rice milk I´ve only had one dessert... homemade flan. Very different from the quart of icecream that I used to call my dinner.

I´m really enjoying this new, maybe healthier (depending on what you think of all the starchy rice and potatoes and the benefits of all that calcium in my icecream) lifestyle. Perhaps, I´ll make notes on some recipes and bring them back with me when I come home.

4 comments:

  1. It's almost as if you are living in Europe! The food sounds delicious. You'll have to get pictures of the meals for us. Can't wait to see your surroundings. Paigey comes home tomorrow morning! xoxo take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heathie,

    I'm so sorry I missed your going away party since I was in Florida. I had every intention of calling you before you left, but I came down with the Swine Flu while I was there. I'm fine, now, but it really did take me down for awhile. I'm so glad you decided to blog so that I can keep up with everything while you're gone. You're an amazing person for being brave enough to have this experience, and I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lois!!! Have fun with Paigie! You guys should plan a trip down to Peru... how much fun would that be!

    Emmy - is that you!?! Swine flue? You have got to be kidding me. I love you and miss you very much. Hope to talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete