Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Glimpse of the Road Ahead

In a few short weeks I will begin working at PROMYPES - la Promoción de las Micro y Pequeñas Empresas (the Promotion of Micro and Small Businesses). Based in Huancayo, PROMYPES is a micro-finance NGO that recently raised approximately $300,000 USD in start-up capital from local private investors. Like other micro-lending organizations, PROMYPES makes loans to those who otherwise would be unable to secure a loan from a traditional bank usually due to a lack of collateral, the small nature of the loan, the inability to comply with the traditional terms of a bank loan and/or illiteracy. Early last week I got a glimpse of my life ahead and was able to spend about five hours at the organization´s office and out in the field talking with potential clients.

My day started off in the office, a brightly colored building that just a month prior was a jardín de niños (kindergarten) and is located only about a block and a half from where I live (who would have thought that my comute would be better than the one in Chicago!?!). I was greated by approximately ten people all about my age... I think... althought 27 here is not what it is at home. I´m constantly asked if I have children (no), am I married (no) and on and on only to receive confused and pitiful looks in response... but that´s another story. Anyway, each person introduced themselves, gave me a kiss on the cheek (which is customary here) and asked me a few questions about myself. We then commenced collectively analyzing the financial statements and proforma of a man who wanted to borrow S/.300 (approximately $120 USD). This lasted for perhaps an hour or two until the group could go no further as they were arguing over how much money should be allocated to the consumption of beer over the course of 8 weeks. It seems as though more questions needed to be asked about the man´s budget that he initially gave us.

The office then broke into teams of two to visit potential clients out in the field. I tagged along with two women to la oficina/casa del zapatero (a shoemaker´s). The shoemaker, his daugher and his two year old granddaughter were living/working together in a one room concrete shelter approximately 20´x 20´. The space was cold and dark with only one window and a door to let in the outside world. One corner of the space was quartered off by sheets draped over a rope. Behind the sheets was the family´s sleeping area and a place for the toddler to play. The rest of the shelter remained quite bare and was filled with only two chairs, a work station that consisted of a sewing machine and long table, and materials - rubber, cloth and glue - piled up in the corners.

During our stay the shoemaker told us about his business: the process and timeline of making a shoe, what everything costs, where he buys his materials, etc. He described these things in great detail while we scribbled notes, facts and figures, and carefully fingered the materials that would soon become part of a sneaker. Then, after a few hours, we left promising to return sometime tomorrow morning.

I´m not sure what happened the next day; if more questions were asked, if PROMYPES analyzed his situation, or if the organization okayed or denied his loan. Either way I feel proud to be part of the process... this new form of banking created by the Nobel Peace Prize winner, Muhammad Yunus and the Grameen Bank. My half day of job shadowing at PROMYPES resparked my passion for the micro-lending industry and I know at this moment that I´m exactly where I need to be.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great experience, Heather. We are very proud of you! Love--Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is so fascinating. What a way to make a difference in other people's lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mom, dad and Paige! Miss you guys! Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops oops oops... I mean Emmy not Paigie. I get totally confused with these secret identity names and I cannot link the name NaderGirl to you at all Emmy (Nor paige´s name to her)... Sorry! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, Heathie. They make you call yourself a name...sounds funny, but I didn't even think to be Emily:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Poor Emmy. What is Nader Girl? RIAH is the name of my Garmin I will have you know, Heather. It stands for Running Is Always Hard. But it doesn't matter. I keep running : ) Bought you some unnecessary things today. One of these days I will put them all in a package and mail them. Has your address sans zip code been confirmed?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NaderGirl refers to my love for Ralph Nader...yes, I realize we are way past the election, and it may seem strange. But it's a part of me that is a little more unique and something I'm proud of. I'd hate to have to be Nurse82, or something:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paigie! I love that RIAH is the name of your Garmin... although ¨running is always hard¨ doesn´t sounds very fresh and loose to me. Maybe next time you should name it FAL. ;-) Yay! I´m super excited to get unnecessary things in the mail. My address totally works... even if it is sans zip code. Not a problem. I´ll totally keep my eyes open for something from you Paigie! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Emmy, Emmy, Emmy... what am I to do with you? ;-)I wondered if NaderGirl was for Ralf Nader... too funny. I didn´t know you were such a strong follower. But you´re totally right, def more creative than Nurse82. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete