Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Lists

"A man walks down the street,
It's a street in a strange world.
Maybe it's the Third World.
Maybe it's his first time around.
He doesn't speak the language,
He holds no currency.
He is a foreign man,
He is surrounded by the sound, sound....
Cattle in the marketplace.
Scatterlings and orphanages.
He looks around, around.....
He sees angels in the architecture,
Spinning in infinity,
He says, Amen! and Hallelujah!"


"Do you think about me now and then?
Cause I´m coming home again
Do you remember when
Fireworks at Lake Michigan
Now I´m coming home again
Maybe we can start again"


As my time in Peru comes to a close I find myself making lists: what to pack, what I want to eat when I get home, what I want to do, other countries I want to visit, how many days are left at work, time in Huancayo, time before my flight, etc., etc., etc. I´ve become obsessive about my lists. I´m looking to the future. I´m excited. I´m coming home. But, for a little while at least, I should reflect on my time here - what brought me to this point - before my memories fade with the coming of old friends, family and the comforts back home.

A few months ago I was talking to a friend of mine from college. He and his wife spent a year or two volunteering in China (I only add this because I feel like he can relate to my situation here somewhat). Anyway, he asked me the obvious question that surprisingly no one else has asked: if I feel like I have given sufficiently during my time here. Frankly, my answer is no. I´m not sure I have done anything that wouldn´t have been done if I weren´t here. On the other hand, I am sure that I have received much more than I have given. My friend´s response: ¨Yeah, that´s usually the way it works."

I have learned so much from Peru. My eyes have been opened to another culture. I´ve picked up a new language. I´ve come closer to knowing what the word "patience" means. Peru is unlike anything I have ever seen before - unlike any of the countries I have visited in Europe or even Peru´s four neighbors I now know in South America. No other country that I know is so rich in minerals and natural beauty yet so devastatingly poor. Peru is both beautiful and frustrating.

Peru can do so much more. Hopefully the upcoming generations will learn - learn to take care of their land, their wealth; to not tolerate corruption; love their brothers despite social status or skin color; treat kindly those from the outside; move forward without forgetting the past. It´s a lot to ask but I think the younger generations are getting closer. Either way I promise you Peru will be a completely different country 10 years from now than what it is today and light years away from what it was 10 years ago. I have high hopes for this country.

So that´s the direction I predict Peru will go in. And where will I be 10 years from now? Who knows. My future is so wide open right now. I could go anywhere. So until my next adventure...

Muchas gracias por seguir mis aventuras. Nos vemos muy pronto. - Heather


Things To Do Back Home
GET A JOB!!!
Take a hot shower
Train for a marathon
Train for the Chi-Tri
Take Spanish and German lessons (...and maybe French too!)
Eat
Drink
Be Merry... and Fresh and Loose

Food I´ve Just Gotta Eat
Pizza
Pancakes and Sausage
Starbucks
Brownies
Cookies
Omelets
Sushi
Oysters
Good Wine
Steak
Cereal
Toast
Italian Food
Fajitas, Guacamole and Salsa
Nana´s Spaghetti and Meatballs
Burger
Christmas Dinner
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Real Coffee
Chinese Food - Mixed Vegetables, Egg Rolls and Dumplings

Places to Visit Next
Morocco
Egypt
Botswana
Galapagos Islands
Brazil
Easter Islands
Nepal
Cartagena, Colombia
French Polynesia
Alaska
Mumbai, India

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic!

    I'll I can add is....WELCOME HOME!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ecuador is one of the most beautiful countries in South America. Worth visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally getting around to reading this post - and your lists : ) You have completed such an amazing adventure! Remember when we thought it would be a big deal to run the Chicago Marathon?!? - it seems so small in comparison : )We are so lucky to have learned from your travels - and I am so selfishly happy to have you back home in America. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you! and you will be so happy to be home!! my son is in another country now..hope he gains the wisdom and insights you have!!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete