Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lima Part 2

After our trip of a lifetime to Machu Picchu Amy, Michelle, Rachel and I flew back to Lima. It´s amazing that it can take literally days by bus to get from Lima to Cusco but hop on a plane and in an hour you can be back in Peru´s capital. It just goes to show how crazy the Andes Mountain Range is. So anyway, to avoid going stir crazy on a bus back to Lima we found a cheap flight and hopped on. And you should be proud, all four of us girls packed so little for our two week vacation that we didn´t have to check a thing... until Michelle decided that she wanted to take her walking stick home from Machu Picchu. She needed to check her stick.

Michelle´s stick riding along on the baggage claim belt. What kind of person checks a stick anyway!?!

And so we commenced our last night in Lima. Hello Pisco Sours! Fabulous!

My brilliant Peru roomie, Rachel, has a degree in Spanish Translations. So we decided to quiz her on American English slang. Here´s her translation for ¨pop, lock and drop it,¨ a must know for anyone travelling outside of the country. Rachel´s translation, ¨pop, cerrar y bajar.¨ Good enough for me!

And a Spanish toast, ¨¡Arriba. Abajo. Al centro. Adentro!¨ While it was me who taught this toast to Amy and Michelle, I think it is me who is screwing it up in the video. I guess one pisco sour is my limit. Who knew.

Michelle leaving for her flight at 4:30am. Good times, good times.

Luckily, Amy got to stick around for another day. So what did we do? We tackled the infamous cuy of course.

Dead cuy! I showed this picture to my co-workers and the rodent was so big, they were convinced we were fed dead dog. Oh boy.

We ordered half a cuy to split between the three of us. I´m so glad they left the head on our half. Yum!

This is my all time favorite video. I just can´t believe I forgot that this website won´t let me flip it into portrait. So I apologize that the video´s sideways. Anyway, enjoy Amy´s expression while she´s cutting into her first piece of guinea pig. Priceless!

After our cuy experience we went out to eat at a real restaurant and then got ready to send Amy on her way to Chicago. It was so hard to see her leave!

And so ended our vacation. Such a great time. So many life long memories. I´m looking forward to seeing Michelle, Amy and everyone else again one week from today when I head home. Miss you guys bunches! See you soon!

Merry Christmas from Lima!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun time you and your friends had on your two week trip! Thanks for sharing! Love it! And love you lots! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete