Thursday, September 10, 2009

For Your Viewing Pleasure...

... a couple quick photos. I promise I´ll post something more substantial this weekend. Cheers from Huancayo!

As mentioned in one of my blogs a few weeks ago, El Rio Shullcas, the main river that runs through Huanayo, at times turns red. I have absolutely no clue why this is and haven´t had the chance to ask anyone about it yet. Still at this point I am fairly certain that the red color is NOT from the blood of gringos sacrificed high up in the mountains. There just aren´t enough gringos around to produce that kind of volume...

It turns out that the water also turns a lovely green color. What do you think the chances are that this river is Huancayo´s main water source? Oh the toxins!

... and I just had to put this one in for fun. The second I saw this cuy gigante march onto La Plaza de la Constitución I gathered my things and ran over to it like I was going to slaughter it and eat it up for lunch. Yum! I was ridiculously excited. I mean, it´s not everyday that you see a ginormous guinea pig walking around your city´s main plaza. Unfortunately, from the look of this photo, I think I may have frightened the cuy. Sorry cuy.

Until next time! Besos!

4 comments:

  1. I like how the cuy is just strolling around by himself, drinking out of a juice box.

    Have you tried the nasty purple beer yet? I heard it was made with saliva. People chew up corn and somehow it becomes a drink. I send you on a mission to find it.. I saw it but didn't try it, I believe it's called chicha. It can't be worse than the cuy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red and green water makes me think that a factory is periodically dumping it's waste! The question is what is the waste? Is it dye used to color fabric or something even more toxic? I just hope it's not the company who bottles the water you drink daily! Yikes!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara! First of all, you need to go on another big trip because I am almost finished completely with your blog and I´m not sure how I´m going to spend a lot of my internet time now. ...and why didn´t you teach me your ¨I´m sorry I have diarrhea¨ excuse? I´m mean really that is something that every girl needs to know. I can´t believe I just learned about it a few weeks ago. ;-)

    Second, you´re totally right, the nasty purple beer you´re referring to is called Chicha. It´s actually white. Chicha morada only comes in a non-alcoholic version as far as I know and is quite tasty. I drink it everyday. Anyway, yeah, Chicha is made with saliva that ferments the corn after women chew it up and then spit it back into a pitcher(or something like that). Sounds delicious! I saw it when I was in the jungle but didn´t try any. I should probably try some eventually just so I can brag that I´ve drank the fermented spittle of others. Does is get any better than that!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ma! The water can´t be any worse than the glowing Braidwood water that Dad grew up with. In fact, maybe the red and green are added nutrients. Just watch, I´m going to come home and be able to run crazy fast or something... or maybe I´ll look like the hulk. We´ll see. Love you!

    ReplyDelete