Friday, August 14, 2009

Field Trip to Huachac

Just about everyday there is a festival somewhere in Perú. For most Peruvians life is hard (approximately forty percent live below the poverty level opposed to thirteen percent of people who live in the United States) and they simply need a reason to celebrate and forget their troubles if only for a moment... and what better excuse to have a party than to celebrate the Catholic saints. Apparently there are over 10,000 saints according to http://www.catholic.org/ and I totally believe that Perú takes time out to celebrate each and every one of them. This past week I went to such a festival after my spanish teacher, Luz, invited me to come along with her family on a field trip to Huachac, a small town about thirty minutes outside of Huancayo. Here are some pictures from my day outside of the city:





Above is a picture of my Spanish teacher, Luz, and her family (she is recently divorced from her husband who apparently drank and smoked way to much, was a professor at the local university and um, maybe had an affair with one of his students... although I´m not sure if I heard that part correctly. Plus, when I moved to France, I remember learning that infidelity is something that is expected to happen in a marriage, at least in French culture, and it is not considered to be a big deal. I kinda of figured it would be treated the same way in Latin America but who knows... Luz seemed to dwell on how much her husband drank so perhaps that was the problem... or at least one of the many problems). Anyway, from left to right is Sammil, he´s turning 6 next week, Luz, Sharron - 12, and Sherlli - 15.



Sammil, Luz and me. I completely adore Sammil, mostly because I can understand everything that he says. This is because he usually only talks about wanting someone to buy him this or that toy or something to eat. That´s usually all I talk about too. We get along perfectly.



At Huachac´s festival there was tons of food, bands, dancing and things to buy from cheap plastic toys to various crafts made by local artisans. Usually in Huancayo, these vendors are littered along the sidewalk just in case you are walking to the market and think to yourself, ¨Man, I´d like to buy a ceramic pot/fruit/rug/hula-hoop.¨ It´s all right there at your disposal.



Above are a few women in what I think of as traditional dress. This style hasn´t caught on with the younger crowd, but if you´re of a certain age and social standing (I think), this is what you are expected to wear. Those who are younger or in the professional world dress just as we do in the United States. They even have a lot of the same brands.



After tasting some of the vendors´food, Luz chose a tent and we sat down. I´ll give you one guess as to what we ate...



First course, papas... or something like papas. I thought I was eating sweet potatoes in gelatin (gelatin is HUGE here) but I was told it was okra. I´m not so sure about that. I think something was lost in the translation. It totally had the texture and taste of potatos. Anyway, the dish was sweet so it was okay with me.



Sharron showing off course numero dos... más papas.



Here´s an upclose look at the second course - spicy potato with a side of more potatoes mixed with spinish. Seriously, when I come home I never want to eat another potato again.




After lunch we wandered around a bit. A band started playing somewhat spontaneously and people gathered to dance. There are about a gazillion different styles of dance in Perú. This is a very mellow traditional style of dance. You have to look very carefully at the video to even see which people are dancing because they pretty much look like they are just marching in a circle.



We then met up with some of Luz´s family. While she has five brothers and one sister, only one bother and her sister showed up. From left to right is Luz, her mother, sister Betty (Who I adore. She is tons of fun, outgoing and loud. Gotta love it!). Next to Betty is her husband, they were just recently married. Next to him is Luz´s daughter, her father, brother and two other children.



Betty´s husband asked me to dance. It wasn´t a difficult dance, just the traditional marching in a circle but it was still hard for me. Man, I wish I were coordinated! Anyway, the second I started dancing several video cameras came over to tape me. I am not even kidding! I suppose I should enjoy my few minutes of fame but it was so odd... and it got old fast (video cameras kept popping up for the rest of the day)! And don´t get me wrong, I am a Rink after all, who loves being the center of attention but after a while I found myself making faces in the camera. I should probably play along better but it´s just very strange to be the exotic one for once.



Luz joined in on the dancing fun.




Betty and her husband dancing some simple salsa. Sorry the video is sideways. Anyway, we spent literally hours dancing in the hot, hot sun. I loved it! We ended up dancing with a huge group of people. Soon after more people joined in, gianormous liter-sized bottles of beer appeard and we spent our time dancing in a circle and passing the huge bottle of beer around (and drinking out of the same plastic cup... not so sure about that). Anyway, except for the incessant video cameras it was a blast!




Before we left the town´s main square I had to sneakily take a video of these cute ¨abuelitos¨ dancing. I mean, seriously, when I´m 100 years old I want to be dancing like this... just maybe with better clothes and a taller husband. ;-)



Later that afternoon we took a mototaxi (basically a motorcycle with a bench seat attached) to a Corrida de Toros. Mototaxis can comfortably fit two people, maybe three. Above is how you fit six people into one Mototaxi. Lovely! Anyway, when I was first told that we would be going to a ¨Corrida de Toros¨ I thought that we were going to see bullfighting. I told Luz that I really didn´t want to see anyone kill a bull... it´s just too sad. She then assured me that the people were just going to ¨play with the bull.¨ Fine with me. Let´s go!



The corral located up on a hill about ten minutes from the main square.



The ¨Corrida de Toros¨ started off with people from different towns, in different forms of dress, marching in. Most of the people were carrying red velvet pillows with various items, from Barbi dolls to coffee makers, on them. Later these items were thrown into the audience along with candy while the pillows were tied to the backs of the bulls.



Bands also marched in and played music as they circled the corral.



Then the bulls and toreros (apparently they´re not called matadors... can´t really figure this one out but I asked two different people and both told me these men were called toreros) made their appearances.


It was tons of fun to watch the bulls and toreros and squeal with Luz everytime it looked like a torero might get trampled or come in contact with the bulls horns (can´t have this type of fun in Chicago!!!) Anyway, I had a great time in Huachac and it was nice to mix things up for a day. Wish you were all here to share my experiences with you!

4 comments:

  1. Heathie,

    I laughed aloud so many times while reading this post. My favorite part was your comment about dancing with "maybe a slightly taller husband" when you're 100. I also enjoyed your bond with the six year old boy. I mean it; you pop right off the screen as I read blog, and it makes me feel closer to you. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emmy... glad I´m coming though in my writing. Wish you were here though to share all my experiences with me. Anyway, glad I got to talk to you a few days ago. Love you bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Heathie. Keep them coming. Love--Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mom and Dad! I´m trying to keep them coming. It´s going to be a little more difficult when I start work in one more week. Can´t believe it came up so soon! Yikes. I´m absolutely 100% excited and terrified all at once. Love you!

    ReplyDelete